Arabica coffee beans
Arabica coffee beans are one of the two main types of coffee beans used to make coffee. The other variety is Robusta. Arabica coffee beans originate from Ethiopia and are grown at altitudes of 600 to 2,000 metres above sea level. They are longer and leaner than Robusta beans and have a softer flavour with notes of sweet fruit, chocolate and caramel. Arabica coffee beans also have less caffeine than Robusta beans, meaning they give a milder and less stimulating coffee.
Arabica coffee beans are also known for their higher quality and flavour. They are more difficult to grow than Robusta beans and require specific growing conditions, such as cooler temperatures and more rainfall. These conditions also make Arabica beans more expensive than Robusta beans.
Types of Arabica coffee beans
There are different types of Arabica coffee beans, depending on where they are grown and how they are processed. Some of the best-known varieties are:
Bourbon: Bourbon coffee beans come from the island of Bourbon (now known as Reunion) in the Indian Ocean. They are round and shiny and have a mild, sweet flavour with notes of fruit and caramel.
Caturra: Caturra coffee beans originate from South America and are one of the most popular varieties of Arabica beans. They are smaller than Bourbon beans and have a full, round flavour with notes of caramel and chocolate.
Catuai: Catuai coffee beans are a cross between Caturra and Mundo Novo beans and originate from South America. They have a lighter flavour with notes of sweet fruit and milk chocolate.
Geisha: Geisha coffee beans come from Ethiopia and have a very delicate and unique flavour with notes of flowers, fruit and honey. They are one of the most expensive types of coffee beans in the world.
Who are Arabica coffee beans suitable for?
Arabica coffee beans are often used in special coffee machines, such as espresso machines, as they have a higher acidity and give a better crema layer. They are also popular in coffee bars and with coffee lovers at home because of their flavour and aroma.
- Mövenpick caffè crema - coffee beans - 1 kiloNuts Strong (3/4)As low as 11,5311.93 / kg
- Lucaffé tasting pack - coffee beans - 4 x 700 gramsLucaffé
47.63 Regular Price 52.25
- Lucaffé 100% arabica Mister Exclusive - coffee beans - 700 gramsFruity, Nuts Medium (2/4)As low as 16.3023.83 / kg
- Dolce Gusto Lungo - capsules - 30 piecesNescafé Dolce GustoAs low as 7.480.27 / piece
- Gift pack - V60 do it yourself kit - 6 itemsCafé du Jour
24.33 Regular Price 27.32
- Letterbox gift - A little coffee moment - 7 itemsCafé du Jour
8.23 Regular Price 9.48
- Caffé Izzo® 100% arabica Gold - coffee beans - 250 gramsCaffè Izzo®Regular Price 6.95 Special Price 5.9823.92 / kg
- Hario V60 starter pack - dripper, measuring spoon, filters and coffee - 2 to 4 cupsHario
12.15 Regular Price 13.440.00 / piece
- Pellini Espresso Bar No 3 Gran Aroma - coffee beans - 1 kiloChocolate Strong (3/4)As low as 13.0113.46 / kg
- Turkish coffee Kurukahveci Mehmet Efendi - ground coffee - 250 gramsKurukahveci Mehmet EfendiAs low as 8.3234.00 / kg
- Turkish coffee Kurukahveci Mehmet Efendi - ground coffee - 500 gramsKurukahveci Mehmet EfendiAs low as 9.9521.90 / kg
- Illy ESE serving pods - Classico - 18 piecesilly7.950.44 / piece